Monday, January 19, 2009

I hate spinach

OK, not really but have you ever been stupid enough to try a new recipe before taking a dish to a dinner party. EVERYTIME I do this, I regret it. When will I learn?

We were going to meet have dinner at Scott and Stacy's house with a bunch of friends. I was the last one to sign up for something to bring, so I had a tough time deciding on a side that would be good with beef tenderloin and parmesan potatoes and then I thought of creamed spinach. I've made it as well as spinach souffle in the past and always loved it, so why not? That would be fine if I hadn't thought that I could improve my existing recipes by using the Ruth's Chris Creamed Spinach recipe (they publish all of their recipes on their website), but now I'm convinced that it is just a sick joke because if I had served the creamed spinach as published, it would have been a bland, dry mess.

Since my previous spinach recipes took 20 minutes max from start to finish and I wanted to have warm food when I arrived at Stacy's, I waited until the last minute to make my spinach. And to add insult to injury, I had already added my spinach to the roux when I realized it was going to be a monumental failure. Anyway, long story short I ended up having to empty my 'fridge of any and all dairy (with the exception of Velveeta), just to make it salvageable. Lucky for me I keep garlic on hand because without fresh garlic, it would have had the flavor of old socks. So the moral of this story my friends, is to NOT EXPERIMENT before dinner with friends and under NO circumstances should you trust any recipe on R.C.'s website!

Here's my stand by recipe with no certain measurements because good creamed spinach is just easy and there's no need to measure.

EASY SCHMEEZY SPINACH

  • olive oil or butter (no substituting with a spread please)
  • 2 packs frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
  • fresh garlic
  • minced onion
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 4-8 oz cream cheese (reduced fat OK, but no fat free)
  • 4-8 oz milk or half and half

Heat olive oil on medium high, lightly saute garlic and minced onion
Add spinach and continue to saute until spinach no longer has a "raw taste" (about 7-10 minutes)
Add equal parts cream cheese and milk (or half and half), until you reach desired consistency.

Sprinkle with fresh grated parmesan cheese before serving.

For a good souffle or casserole, add 2 eggs lightly beaten with a little milk and bake for 15-20 minutes until set.

No comments: