Thursday, January 29, 2009

Chili Cook-off!

We are having a chili cook-off at work tomorrow (Friday), and I am happy to announce that I'll be bringing my white chili and from what I can tell I'm the only white chili (although I should probably call mine "Off-White Chili" or "Not-So-White Chili" because the tomatoes make it a little less white, but not much. I'll let you know how it all turns out. I could probably eat this chili every day of my life. I always make a ton in hopes that I can freeze some for later use, but this one NEVER makes it to the point of having enough left over to freeze.



I must say that although this is currently my favorite chili, I've been torn as to whether or not I should distribute the recipe because it will probably be one of my dishes if I can get my dinners-to-go business started. So maybe this is probably both the first and last time it ever gets posted. Just don't tell anyone (shhhhh)... This makes a pretty big batch, so you can easily half for one meal for 4 people. I know that the ingredients may seem a little strange, but just give it a try before you curl your nose up at it.


Gina's White Chili


  • 1 large onion, chopped

  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced

  • 2 lbs ground turkey

  • 2 cans diced tomatoes with green chilies (aka "Rotel")

  • 6 cans navy beans (you can also use great northern, or canellini, but I prefer the navy)

  • 3-5 cups chicken broth (depends on how thick or thin you want your chili)

  • 2 tbs cumin

  • 2 tbs oregano

  • 2 tsp cinnamon

  • ground white pepper to taste (about 1 tbs for me)

  • 1 lb shredded Monterey Jack Cheese


Sauté onions with turkey and garlic until turkey is browned. Blend 3 cans of navy beans with some of the broth (I've found it easier to do one can at a time - I blend with the broth so that it is thinner and easier to pour into the pot). Add all ingredients to crock pot and cook on low for 6 hours or so, adding cheese one hour before the end. This is such a good chili, it really doesn't need any toppings(, but it's pretty good with corn chips of course if you want the crunch).



Two notes -

*If you don't want to crock pot it all day, just simmer on the stove for 30 minutes of so and don't add as much of the broth. It won't be as rich as the all day version, but still very tasty!



*I tend to just start the soup in the morning and leave it on all day to simmer, so basically, the cooking time correlates to the amount of broth. If you aren't cooking all day, just start with the 3 cups and go from there. It's always easier to add more than start with too much!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Yum! I'm so going to try this recipe!!! Good luck in the cook off!