Monday, January 26, 2009

Brunch is the best...

OK, so I'm sure I'm not the only one who loves a brunch. Love the time of day, love the food, etc. You just can't go wrong, and it's easy schmeezy prep-ahead stuff. So, I hosted a brunch for my friend Tonya's birthday this past Saturday and it was really good and really fun if I may say so myself. And since the last guests left after 3:00, I'll take that as a success.

Tonya didn't want gifts, so I emailed everyone ahead of time with a list of questions to fill out about her and that we would share at the party. That guest's favorite thing about Tonya, funniest thing about Tonya/that I’ve done with Tonya/that I’ve seen Tonya do, most memorable Tonya moment and last but not least, 5 words that best describe Tonya. I had sheets printed out that everyone could fill out during the party (but Tonya didn't know). It ended up being really fun and we all laughed our pants off about the mouse hysterectomy story (since that was down for more than a couple of people's funniest thing about Tonya).

We also played a goofy game that was actually fun and kept the whole group talking instead of it being 2 talking here and 2 talking there... I was concerned that there were a couple of people who really didn't know everyone else and I didn't want them to feel excluded. It's a good mingling game if you ask me. When a guest got there they got a name tag stuck to their back with the name of a famous person. The goal was to ask yes/no questions about who they were until they could guess. It was pretty funny. The ones I thought would be really easy ended up being harder and there were a few that I thought would be hard that were guessed pretty quickly. Pamela Anderson was the one that took ALL DAY and I thought it was going to be one of the easiest.

So now for the good part - the food. Peeps, let me tell you that if you have a breakfast or a brunch, MAKE THIS CASSEROLE. Remove the others from your repertoire!! It is super easy because you make it ahead of time and it only takes about 5 or 10 minutes of prep time, at that. Just don't forget to put it in the oven in time because it takes an hour. I had it the first time at a recipe shower that was thrown for me by the Falls. Everyone had a fit. I figured that I had to give it a try and there wasn't one single bite left. I cannot believe that we finished it off - it was HUGE.

I served it with cheese grits (I think this is one of those things you can't mess up, regardless of how you make them), but I'll post the recipe for this as well. I used pepper jack because of Asheley. I also had fruit, and had some other girls bring orange rolls and cinnamon rolls. I have a fabulous recipe that due to the fact that I don't have a double oven yet (one day, one day!!). It's for the best freaking french toast (also a make ahead that ROCKS and takes no time to prepare, and the fact that you make it in a disposable lasagna pan lends itself to easy clean-up. Tonya - I'm so sorry that we didn't have this because you would have LOVED it.

I served the same two punches that I had at my Christmas cookie swap as well (Bellini punch and SoCo or Southern Comfort punch). Of course both were finished off because these girls love their adult beverages! Richard was pretty bummed that there wasn't anything left besides a bite of cheese grits, but I made Leslie's pot roast on Saturday and served it with the left over cheese grits and it was fabulous. I never would have thought about doing that, but may have to do it again!

All in all, happy birthday to Tonya and thanks to the heavens for making brunch such a lovely, fun and delicious time!

Cheesy Brunch "Quicherole"
  • 2 lbs mild pork sausage
  • 3 cups milk
  • 9 eggs, beaten
  • 5 slices white bread, cut in 1" cubes
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I used a 2% mix sharp white and swiss)
  • 1.5 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Pepper
Brown sausage until fully cooked and crumbly, drain.
Add other ingredients and mix well
9x13 baking dish - For best results: chill overnight
Cook on 350 for 1 hour or until firm


Carla's Decadent French Toast

  • 5 T. light corn syrup
  • 1 Cup light brown sugar
  • 5 T butter
  • 3 Layer no crust white bread
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 ½ cp milk
  • 1 T. vanilla
  • * I add cinnamon and sometimes nutmeg.


Combine syrup, butter and light brown sugar and boil until bubbly in a sauce pan (I have doubled the original amounts to make extra, so the recommended portion is half of what is above, but you will see THAT is the best part and what makes this soooo yummy!).
Pour mixture into disposable lasagna pan. Layer bread over syrup mixture. Blend milk, eggs, vanilla, etc. and pour EVENLY over mixture. For best results, chill overnightBake 350 until brown.

Cheese Grits

  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 3 cups whole milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (omit if using pepper jack cheese)
  • 1 1/4 cups grits (quick is fine, but not instant)
  • 2 cups grated cheese
  • White pepper to taste
  • *Optional 3 to 5 tablespoons unsalted butter

Bring milk and broth to a boil on med-high heat. Add grits and simmer stirring occasionally for 30 minutes. Add butter (if desired) and cheese - season accordingly and serve immediately.

If you are interested in the punch recipes, just post a request and I will pass them on!

Later!

Gina

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Yum! I'm going to have to make that casserole! And I love me some French Toast!!! Sounds like a great party!

Tonya said...

I am so sorry that I am just now reading this - I'm setting up my google reader right now...
The party was fantastic and everyone had so much fun - and the food was soooo good! With the cold sometimes dreary weather in the winter, I think that a birthday brunch makes perfect sense. I tend to hibernate a little at night :)
Gina, thank you so much for hosting and you can make the french toast for me some other time cuz it sounds like it rocks!!!
Love,
Tonya