Thursday, April 9, 2009

Messy Meatloaf/Stuffed Meatloaf


OK, so I found a couple of really cool recipes for this and thought it sounded and looked really yummy because we are pretty much suckers for anything Italian. Mine was most similar to Messy Meatloaf from Jersey Girl Cooks , but I originally found it through Stuffed Turkey Meatloaf from Full Bellies, Happy Kids. Anyway, I wanted to credit my inspirations and am also including the pic from Jersey Girl, since that's what mine looked like. I like my meatloaf to be soft, moist and juicy, so I use sauce and more filler in the meat mixture, so it's the consistency of a good Italian meatball, rather than a burger patty, but if you are more the meat type, by all means reduce the breadcrumbs and the sauce! Anyway, it was quite delicious and it is going in "the rotation". Since it has a veggie in it, I just served with a salad, but garlic parm mashed 'taters would be really good with it in retrospect. Here goes, give it a try - I think you will like it...



Messy Meatloaf

  • olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 package fresh baby spinach (6-10 oz - whatever your store carries will do just fine)
  • 1 small can diced tomatoes, drained well (you could easily omit this, but since the original recipe called for mushrooms and Richard hates them, I wanted something else with the spinach)
  • 2 c spaghetti sauce, divided (I use the cheapy Hunt's -Traditional flavor)
  • 1.5 - 2 c shredded mozzarella cheese, divided (I use part skim mozzarella to save on calories, but used all 2 cups, you know I love my cheese)
  • .5 c Italian blend cheese (you could easily omit, but I pretty much keep this on hand because I love it so much in my Italian recipes)
  • 1 .5 lbs ground turkey
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup Italian style bread crumbs
  • 1 tbs dried Italian seasoning
  • salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350. Saute garlic quickly in olive oil and add spinach to "wilt" (don't let it get all goopey here people). Remove from heat and add approx 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce, 1/2 c mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Italian blend cheese, and toss to combine. Set aside.

In a bowl, combine the turkey, egg, bread crumbs, and seasoning. Add 1/2 cup of both spaghetti sauce and mozzarella. Mix well. *Adjust sauce and bread crumbs for your desired consistency by adding a little bit at a time. Add 2/3 of mixture to a lightly greased Pyrex. Flatten out the center to make a slight well (I left about a 1/2' lip on the sides. Spread spinach mixture in "well". Top with a little more cheese if desired (I did). Top with remaining meat mixture, and press around edges to "seal" and shape it like a loaf (if you like). I just used the side of my spatula/spoonula thing to do this. Spread remaining spaghetti sauce over top and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for approximately 35 minutes or until meat thermometer reaches 165. Remove from oven and let rest for about 5-10 minutes before serving, or it is TRULY "Messy Meatloaf"! :-)

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Yum! This meatloaf recipe sounds delicious! The picture... I don't know... Kind of scary! :)

Tiffany said...

That sounds really good.

Melissa Miggo said...

Hi Gina... I am Dottie Barton's cousin in Nashville and she is friends with your sweet momma. I'm going to try this meatloaf recipe and scoop them into large size muffin cups (in a muffin tin) as I it done last week on Biggest Loser. Great for portion control.

frugal southern mom said...

Hey I miss your recipes! BTW I awarded you a Blog Award, because I love your blog! You can get it here:

http://frugalsouthernmom.blogspot.com/2009/05/i-just-received-my-first-blog-award.html

May 18, 2009 !